Monday, April 7, 2008

Being Gay






Is it the lust for the same gender as one self? Is it detesting ones sexuality and wanting to be all that a man or women can be?

When I told my parent that I was gay, the fist question that they asked was’ so do you wear dresses now’. I had to sit them down and explain that it does not always mean being gay wants to be the other sex. It is quite simple actually, I am a man who likes to be in the company of other men, not always sexual but as normal heterosexuals will have relationships.

My Dad had it really hard accepting the fact that his son is now gay. I took him out for a beer one day and asked him what his concerns where. Thinking back now it was hilarious but for him it was a real and burning issue. He grew up in a society where it did not exist.

He thought that all gay men dress up in drag, wear make-up and prancy feet around.
I had to explain that yes there are drag queens, but they are out there to have fun and make a mockery of everything. It took me a while to explain to him that there are big differences in being a Transvestite to being gay, from being fem or butch.

One has to except who you are. Once you have accepted yourself you can help the people around you except you. It is not always easy, especially where religion plays a big part of the choice so to speak. Be at peace with who you are and know that god accepts you for who you are.

I am usually asked why I chose to be gay. It is not a choice it is who you are. I normally answer them that if I had a choice I would have been heterosexual. Would I go through all the suffering, being mocked at school or in public as a choice? Not being accepted in a restaurant or a club because of your sexuality? Of course that’s FUN LOL.

Being gay is not a choice its part of who you are. We are still the same son and daughter we where. We just have an attraction to the same sex. Does that make us that different to heterosexuals? Does that take our rights away of being happy and in loving relationships? No. Does that mean we can not bring children up in a loving caring stable environment?


I do not differentiate myself from heterosexuals; I still do my sports at a “normal” sports club. I still play rugby with the straight boys. Of course I just love seeing the look on their faces when my lover arrives at the club.

But we are all different from being butch, fem, being a luscious lesbian to scary butch girls. The most important aspect is that you love the person who you are. Respect your elders, your piers and friends.

It took me a while, a very long while to accept who I am. It does not happen over night.

In future I will go into more detail on other subject. This was only my intro.

No comments: